4-stroke carbon pipe design Q's

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Tue May 24 20:15:15 AKDT 2005

I want to thank everyone that replied with information.  I have a much
better idea of what to try to make something that will give best
performance.  I had already figured that we would want to avoid matching the
reflected wave and instead would want a pipe that was "long" so it would
help scavange.  Now I can see several benefits of this:
1. helps draw in new charge during overlap
2. reduces blowback diring overlap.
A simple diffuser may reduce noise but will not address these advantages.
I've heard that maybe a few hundred rpms are all that can really be gained
so accuracy will be important.

I'm not sure if the overlap timing of 4 strokes differs much and how
sensitive I should be to that.  I have a YS120. Would it have the same
overlap as a DZ?  If no one can tell me the exhaust timing of a DZ, I'll
have to get that info on my own before diving into the design too much.
This will be interesting.
Thanks again.
--Lance