4-stroke carbon pipe design Q's

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Tue May 24 03:46:42 AKDT 2005

Bob:
Exactly so.  You've just described how, at low r.p.m., the valve overlap
actually hurts volumetric efficiency, by allowing some of the intake
charge to escape back into the intake tract, and be contaminated by
exhaust gasses.  This, in fact, can be seen as a "standoff" of fuel
vapor above a carburetor intake, as the intake charge is forced out
"backward" before being ingested.  With larger engines, you can actually
"tune" the engine as to where you want the peak torque to be, by
changing camshaft timing a few degrees.  (Be careful, though; you don't
want the valves kissing the piston tops.)

Bill Glaze