Take Off & Landing "Reality of a Contest"

George Kennie geobet at gis.net
Mon May 23 10:54:35 AKDT 2005

You're absolutely right, Bill !!!  It was never broken to begin
with, but some individuals in positions of authority don't
understand the English language. We HAD a descriptive that was
detailed and precise and all you had to do was follow it and things
were O.K., but the rules committee reviewed it and came to the
conclusion that, (and I quote) "We realized that we were not doing
it THAT way" ( that is, not the way the rulebook described the
execution ), so what did they do??  Instead of changing THEIR
execution to conform to the rulebook specs, they decided to change
the rulebook so that it would conform to THEIR execution practices (
i.e., make it the way WE do it!). WRONG!!!
Don't get me wrong, I really love all these guys, I just can't help
feel that there are some deficiencies regarding interpretive skills
when it comes to the original intent of the rule under discussion
here.
Additionally, I'm at a loss for understanding how the new TO ruling,
with it's included procedure turn, free pass, and turn-around is a
time saver over the old TO which was complete at 2 meters of
altitude, as prescribed by RVP. I've got splinters in my fingers
from scratching my head over this one. There's got to be more to
this than I'm aware of!
Georgie
PS. Jim Ivey has this one right on the money!