Take Off & Landing "Reality of a Contest"

Derek Koopowitz derekkoopowitz at earthlink.net
Sun May 22 18:48:08 AKDT 2005

Jim,

This is what I've proposed...

I don't think TO/landing are maneuvers that should be scored at all.  These
are legacy maneuvers that at one point in time needed to be scored but in
todays proficiency age I feel that the maneuvers shouldn't even be in the
sequence, let alone scored.  Scoring well on TO/landing does not a good
pilot make (grammar purposely phrased that way) and I think precision
aerobatics should be about aerobatic maneuvers not TO and landing.

I know some incredibly talented race car drivers that can lap a track faster
than anyone else but have a hard time backing up a car into a parking spot -
is the point of being a race car driver seeing how well one can park a car
or how fast one can go around a track?

I would much rather see a great aerobatic flight with a crappy TO/landing
than see a crappy aerobatic flight with great TO/landing.  To me... call the
box, scoring starts- fly the sequence, call the exit and scoring stops.
Period.  We wouldn't have to worry about wording on rules for TO/landing.

So how do we fix the current problem?  I think we really have 3 choices:

2.  Spend an inordinate amount of time rewording/rehashing the new rules to
fix the problem
3.  Remove TO/landing completely and not worry about it at all.

My preference is for #3 - followed by #1 - both are simple and quick fixes.
Will #3 happen - probably not - but I guess I can dream/hope.