[SPAM] RE: calling complete for new takeoff

Mark Hunt flyintexan at houston.rr.com
Mon May 16 16:23:11 AKDT 2005

Vincente,

Sounds correct to me...and that is how I flew it (402) at our first D6 contest...I chose to exit the box, perform a 180° turn and land.  I tried the 360° in a practice flight and just didn't like the idea of possibly flying into other air traffic.

Flying as stated above was the only way I could ensure that someone else's "common sense" and/or "spirit" (in the judges chair) would not induce a "0" on my scoresheet.

IMO, I think that another touchy part of the whole subject is the fact that some of us less experienced judges must now comtemplate what constitutes a zero landing or takeoff score.  Such as:  If during the 180° turn to final, the pilot corrects heading by having to level the wings for a split second, is that a zero?  A 180° turn can be defined by a constant radius and bank angle, correct?  How constant must that be?  This could apply as well for the turns in the takeoff sequence.  I'm not one to eagerly hand out 0's....I would need to see the plane nearly upside down or behind the flight line to do so.  I just want bring to light that this needs to be discussed at judging seminars if the rule is to be clarified and flown to the letter.

Maybe the "intent" and "spirit" of the rule will eventually end up written as such, and some of us will more easily embrace the rule.