Fail-safe settings for control surfaces

L Caldwell larryc4 at cebridge.net
Mon May 16 06:03:29 AKDT 2005

Hi All,

What is the general concensus for the best setting for the control
surfaces on a pattern plane, and why.  I'm going to be put a PCM
receiver in my plane, primarily for the throttle fail-safe, but I'm not
sure what would be best for the control surfaces.

I would like to have the safety of the onlookers, other fliers, and
field neighbors as the main priority, but still have a chance to recover
the plane if it comes out of failsafe.

I've considered these options:

1)	Low idle, controls at neutral but with a slight amount of up
   elevator.  That might be a good way to see brief lockouts, but
	the plane could travel a long way if it stayed locked at at high
	altitude.

2)	Last good signal doesn't seem like a good idea to me if it
	stays locked out.  You could get anything there.

3)	This seems safest for the crowd, but probably bad for the future 	of
the plane.  Low idle or engine off, full spin entry on the
controls.

Any better ideas?

Larry Caldwell
Brookland, Arkansas