CAD Program

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Sat Mar 26 09:05:57 AKST 2005

Bill,

I don't know first hand because I've never tried it but considering
who all is using it I can't imagine it wouldn't.  Ashlar has a much
higher end product called Cobalt that does all of what Graphite does
plus the high end solid modelling functions, but it's way more $$$
(nearly $4k).  On the other hand it compares favorably with ProE
which is ~$20k.

All of the Ashlar products are available for a fully functional two
week trial via download here:

http://www.ashlar.com/demo/index.shtml

You might consider downloading Graphite, importing your old CAD file
from AutoCad and trying it.

I think the important thing to consider is this.  There are a lot of
CAD programs available out there with a lot of capability that are
downright CHEAP (some are shareware/free).  Most of them are quite
difficult to use and require a significant learning curve to be able
to do anything of value at all.  I have found it better to pay a
little bit of $ to have a CAD tool that has almost no learning curve
at all as I frequently go months at a time without using the
software.  When I go back to use it after a layoff it only takes a
few minutes (I mean single digit here) to be back up and working.
It's that easy.

I currently use an old version of Ashlar DrawingBoard on my Mac that
I bought 8 or 9 years ago (still runs fine on OS 10.3.8 under
Classic).  I downloaded the trial version of Graphite for OS X last
night and it has the same intuitive interface.  The main reason I'm
thinking of upgrading is to pick up the ability to import/export a
much greater variety of file formats than what DrawingBoard handles.
Being full OS X native is a plus also.  BTW - FWIW, all of the Ashlar
products are offered for both Windoz and Mac.

Thx, Jerry

--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jerry at buddengineering.com