Adobe Troubles (longer)

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 26 08:44:56 AKST 2005

I will "sort of" agree with you.
XP is better than 98SE, but 98SE was better than anything before it. 2000
don't count because it was not intended for the masses. It must be good,
because a lot of business's are still using it!

The Windows Environment is flexible to the point of collapse. The
development documentation challenges legalese for lack of clarity. Buffer
overruns can be fixed, when are they going to really do it? Until they do,
security is weak.

I fail to see the need to allow a hostile piece of software to permanently
trash this mysterious thing they call the Registry. The Registry is a good
place for what we called a "communications region" in the 1960's, but the
failure to protect and preserve it is just plain stupid. History for a given
application has always been better off in what nowadays refer to as a
"cookie file".

Setup files never presented a problem whether you called them .par, .pro, or
.ini. The Registry now conceals components to the point that you cannot
purge a hostile component. The only reason I can see is that the registry
also emulates a life cycle: eventually the system will get so mucked up that
it will die! Obsolescence, planned and implemented!

It sure is cool when it is working. I guess that is why we put up with it. I
don't really want it too change too quickly. There is enough unemployment
already.

Fortunately, I enjoy wallowing around in the mud with technology. It must be
really tough for those who expect things to work right...

Of course, there is always Apple. The training wheels are welded on over
there....

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US