Nose Weight

David Flynt dflynt at verizon.net
Wed Mar 16 06:29:59 AKST 2005

Steve,

I did not read through all of the suggestions, but a combination of removing
weight from the tail, shifting weight forward, and adding weight forward are
the options.  I would add some stick on lead right now and fly.  Figure out
where you like to fly the plane, and then start attacking the problem to
keep your plane light.  Jerry Budd had an EMC that was tail heavy, and he
cut large circular holes in the rudder and recovered.  This worked, and his
rudder did not fail.  Look at Ola Fremming's site
(http://home.online.no/~ofremmi/MyHangar/Synergy/Synergy_03.htm).  You may
save weight by scratch building a rudder, or maybe not worth the trouble.
Ultracote lite, available from Horizon Hobby, is a super light transparent
version of their covering that I have used on the bottom of my stab and
elevators.  You might save 1/2 ounce or more in covering weight on the stabs
and rudder alone, and don't be afraid to use it on the top.  A pull-pull
will save a little weight in the tail.  Do some analysis and parts weighing
before you tackle that.  You may find that it does not eliminate significant
weight in the tail.  If you have added a very thick coat of paint to your
plane, then you could try to wet sand and then polish some of the paint down
from the tail, but that is risky.  There is a great chance that you would
sand all the way through.  If you do it, take you time and do it outdoors
with good light so you can see what you are doing.

There are dozens of ways to move the CG forward.  This is part of the game,
and I suggest you just stick with it until you accomplish the task.  It can
be done.  On my current plane, which was very tail heavy, I had to build new
elevators, modify the stabs, replace the stab mounted servos with a dual
pushrod system, and recover the stab/elevator.  A lot of work, but it was
better than adding 10 ounces of lead to the nose.

Good luck with it.

David Flynt