OS-140 bearing question

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Tue Mar 15 20:56:44 AKST 2005

Jason,
 Yes, at first you'll notice it feels a little crunchy when turning over by
hand. As it gets worse, you may hear it when it's running. His is probably
not too bad yet, but it will only get worse so... Now's the time. I actually
change the bearings on a brand new motor before I break it in. It's easy to
do at that point because everything comes apart real easily. The replacement
bearings should outlast the originals so it's not worth running the motor
with the original bearings as far as I'm concerned. Some people have gotten
long life out of the original bearings, but I figure an once of
prevention... As far as bearings go, you have a few choices. A lot of guys
(myself included) have been using the type with 2 rubber seals. Stainless of
course. I'm told these will last a LONG time if you leave the seals on both
sides and install them carefully. Some guys are taking the seals off both
sides on the rear bearing. If you need to replace the front bearing, you
will of course need something on the outside, a seal or a shield. The Boca #
for a S.S. rear bearing with 2 rubber seals is: SMR6904-2RS. The front one
is SMR6000-2RS. If you want to go with shielded bearings instead it would
be: SMR6904-ZZ and SMR6000-ZZ. The original setup has no shields or seals on
the rear bearing, and a single shield on the front bearing, I think - I
don't have a 140 Rx here, just a 160 Fx and a bunch of 60's. It's not too
hard to carefully remove the seals or the shield from one side (or both)
using a dentist pick.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com