Nose Weight

Steve Wiggin swiggin682 at cox.net
Tue Mar 15 13:47:31 AKST 2005

Dean,
 You are a funny guy! Thanks for your advice. I realize that the spinner
weight is just not a viable option. My fuel tank is forward of the CG and I
have placed my battery in front of the tank at the bulkhead. I am using the
DB soft mount on a TT 120 2 stroke and am not using a nose ring. there is a
ply former that is just behind the nose of the fuse and I found that I can
just fit a bar of the stick on weight in there. I hate to add weight to any
plane, but it needs to be done. I have about 38" of DB fiberglass rod from
servo to elevators. This is for static balance. I have always had to move CG
aft after flight testing and I wonder how accurate the published Finesse CG
is. It's my hope that after flight testing, much of this weight (about 3 oz)
could be removed. Thanks again.
BTW, when responding to a post with Outlook Express, do you cut and paste
the original post? If I use the reply Icon, my message is only sent to the
one recipient.

Hi Steve,
Keeping in tune with your hazing: it's good to see that you have admitted
your problem, now you can get help.

Seriously, It's good thinking to keep the noseweight as far forward as
practical. In the spinner is not practical, and up to maybe an ounce or so
is practical, right on the crankshaft with one of the Higley heavy prop
washers.
In the spinner is a bad idea: heavier cast aluminum spinners have been known
to throw themselves off the plane, and that can really ruin your day. The
heavy nose ring isn't all that bad an idea, maybe from 1/4" brass sheet.
Hey, It hacksaws and files nicely. Of course, Nat would make his from gold,
but he's got money to burn. Replacing the fiberglass rod with cables will
only get you about halfway there, based on a 1 ounce pushrod.

What kind of engine mount do you have? This may have an effect on where you
can bolt or glue the weight in.
later,

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer