[SPAM] Counting others' AMA points / WAS RE: Rules Changes----Advancement

rick wallace rickwallace45 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 19:47:15 AKST 2005

Georgie --

Hmmmm. the only classes where AMA points counting matters are Intermediate
and Advanced.  I'm seeing 'points abuse' / homesteading in a class as a
non-issue, at least in D1. Maybe I'm missing something.

I've been keeping the D1 champs points for the last three years, and as of
2004 I started tracking all finishing places for all classes for all D1
contests. (great idea, Scott! Thanks)

I also kept my own points count thru Intermediate and Advanced, and moved up
only when I pointed out of each class - and yes, that meant flying Advanced
in 2004 after winning the 2003 Advanced district championship  (and NOT
repeating as champ, thank you very much, Ed! <g>) - because I wasn't ready
to move up.

I kind of enjoy keeping the District champs stats, and making them available
to the District via our web page, but I DON"T particularly want to be the
district watchdog for counting all the AMA points for all our pilots.

 -- Have you seen any evidence of 'points abuse' in D1 Intermediate and
Advanced (the only places where it really counts)? In the 5 years I've been
flying pattern I don't think I have. In fact the results seem to indicate
the opposite- Guys that compete a lot and finish in the top of the class a
lot move up within a year or two.

-- I suspect that, as MattK pointed out a couple days ago, the advent of the
4 year life /duration of AMA points effective this year, points will be even
less of an issue for the casual Intermediate  / Advanced guy.

-- I can't believe that a guy can build / assemble / fly / maintain a
competitive 2meter pattern plane and be incapable of keeping his own points
count.

I'll be happy to discuss AMA points counts with any D1 Intermediate or
Advanced guy who doesn't understand what the system's about or how to keep
points, and will gladly discuss (OFFLINE / OFFLIST) specifics with anyone
who wants to me to investigate whether one of our guys is homesteading in a
class.

But I really am not in favor of activating a system to scrutinize all 39
(last year's count of total faces that flew in at least 1 D1 contest in
Intermediate / Advanced) of our Intermediate and Advanced pilots in hopes of
catching a sandbagger. Let's focus on having FUN with our toy airplanes --
and deal with suspected exceptions as exceptions. I have no problem at all
with talking to individuals about how this part of the system works.

Thanks for listening -

Anyone know a 'no-snow / no-wind' dance we can do to get some PRACTICE
weather here in the Northeast???

Rick