Another box rule (discussion)

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 10:34:42 AKST 2005

Buddy:
I like the way you are exploring lots of options.  It can only help to
get these (and other) ideas.
By way of information, only:
I just returned from judging at the JR Challenge in Punta Gorda, FL.
Having to leave Greensboro, NC with it's 30 and 40 degree weather,  for
Florida with it's 70 degree weather, was a real sacrifice.  Nasty job,
but someone had to do it.
Anyway, while there, the box situation came up.
Following the International Aerobatic Club, and applying it's
rules/thinking to model airplanes doesn't always work, despite what some
elements in IMAC seem to think.
The box situation is one of those things that simply hasn't worked.
Originally, the 3 zone box was eliminated; no more left/center/right
zones.  Then, the box itself was, in effect, nullified.  Would you
believe that the thinking at the time was that such a rule change would
make for a smaller (yes, smaller!!) noise foot print?  Maneuvers no
longer had to be centered; they could be flown way, way off center; this
of course made the turnarounds nearly in a foreign country.  At the
conclusion of the flight, the judge was asked to award a "positioning"
score which, we were assured, would level the playing field for those
folks who ignored the centering completely.  (and many did ignore it.)
It certainly had no effect on positioning.  And it made the maneuvering
area absolutely huge; judges had trouble seeing airplanes as big as 42%,
with wingspans as large as 116"  It certainly didn't help the precision
when the pilot couldn't really see the airplane, and the judges had a
very hard time judging it.

Now, to the crux of the matter: there is a definite move afoot to
re-establish the box, and to re-install the  zones.  After suffering
through the zoneless box, then the boxless box, they have finally begun
to realize that there has to be some territorial limit, or the whole
scheme of things becomes ridiculous.
Look for it to be changed.  Some things must happen first, but they will
be changed.
Sorry to be so long winded, but the only other person I know on this
list who is intimately familiar with the above is Ed Alt.  I felt there
might be some interesting information here.

Bill Glaze