Rules Changes----Advancement

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Tue Mar 8 13:28:57 AKST 2005

In a message dated 3/8/2005 4:09:24 PM Central Standard Time,
Rcmaster199 at aol.com writes:

I believe that this may open a different can of worms. It's true  that some
guys attend contests simply for the fun and camaraderie of the  flying, but
there is a whole nother set of troops that attends to compete. In  my opinion,
this is the largest of the two, by wide margin. These folks want  to win, place
or show and really try hard to do their best. The former  group may not care
as much about doing its best; just being there is good  enough. But it is still
an extremely important group nontheless.

It seems to me that there are a bunch of guys, (Masters in D3 is a good
example) that are very good in their present class(most of us are quite evenly
matched), and some of these may decide to drop down a class and park for a
while. Taking that skill level down to Advanced could demoralize the Advanced
level guys that want to really compete, and could actually have the exact
opposite effect from that desired. I wouldn't want any Advanced competitor to  leave
the sport because of an infusion of Masters class guys re-entering the  class

We agree on the fact that the points system is silly and  unenforceable.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be aversed to a trial run of such a  rule.
Reconvene after the trial period was over and make a decision on its
success--failure. Then make a final decision and have buy-in from the CB up  front to
either make a change, or not. Having CB buy-in up front will  alleviate some of
the acremonious debate we have seen in past issues.

I recommend caution either way. This indeed is unchartered territory, at
least in my 27 years, and demands careful thought. I like the fact that the
committee is thinking in different and challenging ways to improve the sport  for
everyone, eventhough THIS committee's charter is to build schedules  and not
rules.

MattK

PS- one more thought on this: it may turn out that no self respecting
Masters competitor will move down to Advanced, or Advanced down to  Intermediate.
Then this suggested approach could work. Convincing the AMA CB  will be the trick

In a message dated 3/8/2005 4:20:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,