FW: Help!!!

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Tue Mar 8 04:39:36 AKST 2005

In a message dated 3/7/2005 7:42:24 PM Central Standard Time,
moleski at canisius.edu writes:

Buddy,

Your messages are coming through to the  list.

Otherwise, people would not be replying to them.

Marty

Yep It's fixed now.
Buddy

--On  Monday, March 07, 2005 6:44 PM -0500 BUDDYonRC at aol.com  wrote:

> In a message dated 3/7/2005 5:10:55 PM  Central Standard Time,
rcsteve at tcrcm.org writes:

> Hi  Buddy-- don't worry, your messages are coming through. This list uses
email,  and email can have some strange excentricities.

> Email goes  through email servers, one on each end. In the situation of the
list server,  add in a third server in the middle.

> Any of the servers can  get busy, bogged down. Here is an example:
>
> Lets say you have  sent out a message to the list server. Your email
program does not talk  directly to the nsrca list server, it hands the email off to
an email server  provided by your ISP (in this case AOL).  Your ISP's mail
server then  queues up your
> message until it has time to try and contact the nsrca  server. Depending
how busy it is, this could be 1 second, minutes, or in rare  cases (during a
spam storm) hours.

> Once your ISP server has  time, it will try to contact the nsrca mail
server. If the nsrca server is not  busy, the message is transferred, and queued
for send out to the list members.  If it is busy (maybe with other nsrca list
stuff, but could be one or
>  more of their other commercial clients--nscra just rents space from an
ISP)  then it sends a short message back to your ISP server "busy-wait". So AOL's
 server puts it in a delay queue, and after it takes care of the other 15
million client messages
> waiting in its queues, tries again. Oh, but it  gets another busy-wait
message, it doubles the delay time and waits  again.  With busy traffic, and
doubling of the delay time for each  busy-wait times, messages can get wait-delay
times 24 hours or  longer.

> This same process can happen on the distribution of  the message out to the
list members as well. For example, when the nsrca  server tried to contact
the AOL server, if it got a wait-busy reply, it puts  the message to you in a
wait queue and goes on
> through the rest of the  list before trying again.
>
> Of course, some other problems can  occur as well. In the past, we have had
AOL's automated spam filtering think  that email from the list was spam and
started blocking it.

>  Looking the email header info from your last message, it looks like it
took 2  seconds for AOL's server to receive the message from you. It then took 6
more  seconds for it to deliver it to the nsrca server. Pretty quick,
obviously no  delay here. It
> rumbles around through several spam and virus checkers  at nsrca's ISP for
a few seconds. Then it hits a server that's clock is 1+  hour off so who
knows. Finally, NSRCA's servers shoot it to my server 1 minute  and 3 seconds after
you had hit the send
> button.
>
> So it  got to me very fast. My best guess is that AOL's incoming servers
were swamped  (there is a spam storm going on this weekend), they told the NSRCA
server to  wait-delay a couple of times, and now your message is in email
pergatory. It  will
> eventually flush through.
>
> Below is a copy of the  route list of your message that got to me. Its kind
of interesting.  You  read it from the bottom up. Each of the "Received:"
lines is another server or  application (like virus checker) that handled the
message.

Behalf Of BUDDYonRC at aol.com
>  Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:48 PM
> To: discussion at nsrca.org
>  Subject: Help!!!
>

> If anyone can help? I am getting mail  from everyone that mails me direct
but nothing from the discussion list. I am  beginning to think I have been cut
off due to recent rules change discussions  that I started.
> Please let me back on I won't do it again.
>  Buddy
>

> No Steve
> I am not getting  through I have been booted and when I try to sign up
again I Get a reply  Journal that says I cannot be added to the discussion mailing
list:  error-518979585
> I dont know why or how to fix the problem. I left a  message For ED Hartly
on the NSRCA site
> I got ahold of AOL and reset  Spam filters they couldnt find a reason that
it wont work nor can I my mail  works everywhere else.
>  Buddy

To  access the email archives for this list, go  to
To be removed from  this list, go to http://www.nsrca.org/discussionA.htm
and follow the  instructions.