FW: Help!!!

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Mon Mar 7 14:44:53 AKST 2005

In a message dated 3/7/2005 5:10:55 PM Central Standard Time,
rcsteve at tcrcm.org writes:

Hi Buddy-- don't worry, your messages are  coming through. This list uses
email, and email can have some strange  excentricities.

Email goes through email servers, one on  each end. In the situation of the
list server, add in a third server in the  middle.

Any of the servers can get busy,  bogged down. Here is an example:

Lets say you have sent out a message to  the list server. Your email program
does not talk directly to the nsrca list  server, it hands the email off to an
email server provided by your ISP (in  this case AOL).  Your ISP's mail
server then queues up your message until  it has time to try and contact the nsrca
server. Depending how busy it is,  this could be 1 second, minutes, or in rare
cases (during a spam storm) hours.

Once your ISP server has time, it will try  to contact the nsrca mail server.
If the nsrca server is not busy, the message  is transferred, and queued for
send out to the list members. If it is busy  (maybe with other nsrca list
stuff, but could be one or more of their other  commercial clients--nscra just
rents space from an ISP) then it sends a short  message back to your ISP server
"busy-wait". So AOL's server puts it in a  delay queue, and after it takes care
of the other 15 million client messages  waiting in its queues, tries again.
Oh, but it gets another busy-wait message,  it doubles the delay time and
waits again.  With busy traffic, and  doubling of the delay time for each
busy-wait times, messages can  get wait-delay times 24 hours or longer.

This same process can happen on the  distribution of the message out to the
list members as well. For example,  when the nsrca server tried to contact the
AOL server, if it got a wait-busy  reply, it puts the message to you in a wait
queue and goes on  through the rest of the list before trying again.

Of course, some other problems can occur  as well. In the past, we have had
AOL's automated spam filtering think that  email from the list was spam and
started blocking it.

Looking the email header info from your  last message, it looks like it took
2 seconds for AOL's server to receive the  message from you. It then took 6
more seconds for it to deliver it to the  nsrca server. Pretty quick, obviously
no delay here. It rumbles around through  several spam and virus checkers at
nsrca's ISP for a few seconds. Then it hits  a server that's clock is 1+ hour
off so who knows. Finally, NSRCA's servers  shoot it to my server 1 minute and
3 seconds after you had hit the send  button.

So it got to me very fast. My best guess  is that AOL's incoming servers were
swamped (there is a spam storm going  on this weekend), they told the NSRCA
server to wait-delay a couple of times,  and now your message is in email
pergatory. It will eventually flush  through.

Below is a copy of the route list of your  message that got to me. Its kind
of interesting.  You read it from the  bottom up. Each of the "Received:" lines
is another server or application  (like virus checker) that handled the
message.

Steve Sterling
NSRCA Webteam