Judge Notes

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Mar 3 06:17:01 AKST 2005

In a message dated 3/3/2005 9:22:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
edbon85 at charter.net writes:

This  also means the more time you spend on a maneuver, the more likely you
are to  screw up and the greater opportunity the judges have to ding you in
various  places in the maneuver. Gee, that just might improve  judging.

More Judging study and practice will improve judging, regardless of what  the
maneuvers look like. Don Ramsey, Earl Haury, and Ron Chidgey way back  when,
and several others have done a lot over the past 15 years  or so to apply
science to judging, and take it to another level. It is  up to all of us to apply
the methods that exist and improve upon them.

The bottom line is this as I see it: if we want more precise and  accurate
judging, then we need to practice it more, just as we do the flying,  with
hopefully as critical an eye for judging precision as we show for the  flying we
do. Judge coaches would help just the same as flying coaches do.

This is an area that should be explored long term for a healthier  sport.

MattK