Pattern Box Rules (discussion)

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Wed Mar 2 11:28:17 AKST 2005

On Mar 2, 2005, at 2:05 PM, <rcaerobob at cox.net> wrote:

> My TAKE....If a box change is 'needed', let's make the thing SMALLER.
> That would drive us to fly SLOWER, require less POWER, and the
> airplanes would not have to be 2M...

While I sympathize with the intent, if the box was smaller and we had
to fly slower, there would be a premium on transition to vertical
flight and vertical flight itself.  This would not necessarily require
less power, in fact it might require more power to accelerate into
vertical flight and continue.  Most would probably use very low
pitch/large diameter props kinda like the electric-powered 3D airplanes
use.  Hmmmmm.

> Plus, a smaller box presents a smaller noise footprint, permits faster
> rounds, easier judging, and farther distances between center overlaps
> for collision avoidance.

Unscored takeoffs and landings will speed things up too.  Oops, I
understand that's controversial.

> Changing the box size smaller COULD have a lot of benefits!!!!

As much as I hate to say it, I generally agree with Bob.

Ron Van Putte