Pattern Box Rules (discussion)

rcaerobob at cox.net rcaerobob at cox.net
Wed Mar 2 11:05:44 AKST 2005

My TAKE....If a box change is 'needed', let's make the thing SMALLER.  That would drive us to fly SLOWER, require less POWER, and the airplanes would not have to be 2M...

Plus, a smaller box presents a smaller noise footprint, permits faster rounds, easier judging, and farther distances between center overlaps for collision avoidance.

Changing the box size smaller COULD have a lot of benefits!!!!

> From: BUDDYonRC at aol.com
> Date: 2005/03/02 Wed PM 12:03:30 EST
> To: discussion at nsrca.org
> Subject: Pattern Box Rules (discussion)
>

> As a member of the rules change committee I am trying to determine if there
> is interest in pursuing this matter and welcome a discussion and  suggestions
> regarding this issue
> I have outlined some of the issues and suggestions pertaining to  this below
> and welcome your opinions.
>

> The pattern box was added to the AMA rules when the  turnaround method of
> Presentation and scoring was initiated. It defines the  limited scoring area
> where all maneuvers must be performed.
> The purpose of the box is to provide a uniform but somewhat  flexible area of
> presentation that allows the pilot the opportunity to tailor  his
> presentation to the requirements of the pattern being flown, and allow  judges to score
> his presentation on an equitable basis when compared to the  presentations of
> other pilots flying the sequence.
> The rules provide for specific score penalties for  performing any maneuver
> either out of the box or partially out of the box,  making it all important
> that all box violations are downgraded the same by all  judges to provide the
> correct score earned.
> Over the years the failure of judges to provide a uniform  application of box
> violations has resulted in an unfair advantage to some pilots  and a
> disadvantage to others.
> In many cases box line poles are not  or cannot be provided to give the pilot
> or judge the visual reference necessary  which becomes the primary reason
> among others that this condition continues to  exist.
> In addition to the above the present box configuration  increases the
> possibility of a midair collision when two flight lines are used  because many pilots
> strive to utilize the same optimum distance out in their  presentation.
> By reconfiguring the box more area  will be available for those who wish to
> fly in closer with out fear of box  violation downgrades, this will also allow
> those who experience vision  difficulties at greater distances the possibly to
> be more competitive
> In order to provide a method that will  more nearly insure equity to all
> participants and simplify the task of judges,  while possibly reducing the
> occurrences of midair collision, and also encourage  those with limited eyesight at
> the greater distances to participate, It has  been suggested that a rules
> change be requested to modify the pattern  box layout and redefine the box boundary
> infringement  penalty.
> One suggestion was to revise the box size by changing  the box line from
> Sixty (60) degrees to Seventy-five (75) degrees. And adopt a  uniform system of
> accessing penalties similar to the FAI rule or to the  method used in IMAC
> Another suggestion which may offer solutions to more of the  inherent
> [...]

Bob Pastorello, El Reno, OK, USA
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net