Elan trouble

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 03:59:28 AKDT 2005

Jerry,

The MK bellcrank was certainly adds 1 oz or more to the tail, perhaps more
depending on what types of clevises and secondary pushrods your are using -
and such high tech tricky devices are not something you will find Dick
Hanson using.  And while glass/paint can be done with minimal weight gain,
it usually does add some weight (call it 1 more oz), and if the paint on the
fuse itself is heavy, that can effectively add 1 oz to the tail.  And the
actual weight of the stabs and rudder can pretty easily vary 1-2 oz,
depending on the builder (heavier wood, amount of epoxy used).  And, an
adjustable stab can add 1 oz.  Tailwheel assemblies could vary by as much as
1 oz.  Might be as much as 7.5 oz between different builders and hardware
choices.  That 7.5 oz equates to substantially more (as noted by others) on
the nose - maybe 15-20 oz.  Dump the bellcrank and take a close look at
linkage hardware and the tailwheel assembly - you might be able to pull 2 oz
off the tail (reducing noseweight by 6-8 oz).

- AND - on the front end - When the Elan was designed, a YS120 AC was
commonly used - that engine weighed in around 34-35 oz if my memory serves
correctly.  The current day YS 120s are, I believe, 1-2 oz lighter.
Unfortunate, but not too hard to see how 12 oz of ballast could be needed on
this plane (or any other).

I would absolutely move the throttle servo forward - bolt it to the bottom
of the tank floor just behind the firewall - this will effectively add 1 oz
to the nose.  You might also be able to move the RX and switch just ahead of
the LE of the wing - maybe effectively 1 more oz on the nose.  Those
changes, coupled with dropping 2 oz on the tail should get you to the point
of needing well under 4 oz (if any) on the nose.  At 9 - 9.25oz, the Elan
will fly extremely well.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net