Changing Frequencies.....danger??

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Wed Jun 29 20:13:09 AKDT 2005

Scott,
 Yeah, what Ed said... Just change the RF module in the transmitter and get
a new crystal for the receiver. I think the RF module for a 9c is about
$50.00. Not too bad. You are not supposed to change just the crystal in the
transmitter - that's why we have modules. Changing just a crystal (in the
transmitter) requires re-tuning otherwise you might interfere with someone
else. The module is tuned to the chosen frequency and sealed up. Nothing
wrong with having a few modules either. The synthesized RF module is another
alternative. Like Ed said it is tuned to a stable frequency, then a PLL
(Phase Locked loop) circuit generates the chosen carrier frequency. Also
acceptable and legal. Bottom line: change the transmitter module and the
receiver crystal and you'll be within FCC regulations and safe from any
Homeland Security issues too.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com