Sportsman Option B Question

Pattrnflyr at aol.com Pattrnflyr at aol.com
Tue Jun 21 12:59:07 AKDT 2005

I second what Troy said.  I was on the development committee for the
Sportsman sequences.  In a way this may have been the hardest sequence to design.  I
know there were a ton of Sportsman sequences submitted to the committee.  I had
the advantage of letting my son who is a first year pattern pilot fly the
sequences with his Tiger 2.  I also flew them (intermediate pilot with a Typhoon
and a Headmaster) and Jeff Carrish flew them (Masters finals flyer).  So we
gave our input, argued a little, tweaked a little, talked to Troy on the phone
and here is what you have to vote on.  In order to make the Sportsman's
sequence longer and also flyable by a less capable airplane (i.e., a Tiger 2), it was
tough not to repeat maneuvers.  But if you look at where the maneuvers are,
you have wind differences and placement/setup issues for the next maneuver that
all pattern pilots deal with no matter what class they fly.  We tried to make
sure that a newbie pilot with a sport plane could compete and want to come
back and up his game.  Whether or not we did that, only time will tell.

See ya,

Bruce Reins