Landing Direction

Archie Stafford rcpattern at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 11:10:08 AKDT 2005

While at the D4/D5 contest this weekend, Verne is right, it was faster, and
there were no issues on takeoffs.HOWEVER, there were a few pilots that had
trouble landing and keeping in on the runway at Site 1 in Muncie.  I don't
know if this was lack of concentration, yes there was a nasty crosswind, but
nothing that should not have been overcome though.  I would argue that
performing a perfect 10 on landing is every bit as hard as any other
maneuver we do.getting it on the runway may not be, but nailing a landing
with all the criteria is certainly not a given.  I believe they should be
judged.lets say too pilots score exactly the same on a given flight, EXCEPT,
one nails the landing and the other bounces it 45 feet down the runway.which
pilot REALLY had the better flight.  If you are in a full scale and have a
great takeoff and flight from LA-NY, and then are killed on landing, was it
really that great of a flight?

Arch

Ed Deaver wrote:
Have been following this discussion closely.  Finally feel compelled to
throw in a different perspective. The question is what defines an "Aerobatic
Manuever(AM)."    If we want to look at this we have to ask, is Straight and
Level flight in Sportsman and AM.  Is a vertical line, or a 45 degree line
up or down an AM.  It is easy to argue these simple parts of complete
manuevers simply aren't AM.  However, we stand up and say, but they build
skills, needed to compete better!!!!This is very true because in other
disciplines, the ability to fly wings level and straight is usually a big
standout for what isn't done well. So, back to the original question, what
defines an AM.  Lets see, take off, wings level through out procedure, yes.
Control of climb out, yes.  Control of crab to maintain a specific line, on
the runway, yes.  At a specific point, wheel up and rate of climb constant,
yes.  I simply don't see any difference between the above maneuvers.
Landing.  Wings level through out procedure, yes. Control of decent as
constant from some point(another discussion), yes.  Touch down within a
specific area, to me no different than centering a manuever on the center
poll, yes.  Controlled roll out till manuver completed. So, what defines an
AM.  In my eyes, TO/L fill the bill.  There is symetry to maintain.  There
is a wings level criteria.  There is a fly on a specific line, not 150
meters out, but center of runway.  There is a smoothness/gracefullness
criteria.  I don't see the difference between trying to center a snap, on a
45 downline over the poll, fly wings level to start, maintain a line,
perform the snap, or landing in my scenario, complete the line, and finish
the manuever. I/m not a proponent because it has been that way, or just
because, but because it really encompasses everything we strive for at 150
meters also.  I have personally seen a number of people in IMAC, that
COULDN'T land their own plane under certain circumstances because it wasn't
required and therfor not striven towards.  Yes, this is scary.  I would much
rather stand in the pilots box with a pilot that has the basic understanding
that TO/L was a part of there sequence, and more than likely worked on some.
To me this is actually safer than the non scored scenario.  Which way we
land may be the key to settle some arguments. As far as being faster.  I'm
sorry here.  Again, I have seen pilots not even start up until the other
pilot is off the runway, even though the CD enthusiastically and politely
said, C'Mon lets keep the line moving.  It would take a lot of work to get
these pilots to take off and walk to the pilots box, not to mention the
danger of falling tripping, looking down all of a sudden and loosing your
plane(Imac planes are much easier to reaquire in the air visually)  Get rid
of the not moving forward rule, but that is all I'm for here. The new rules
poll will indeed be interesting.  Hopefully, many are not scorched from the
URP against the membership previous vote, as I know of several NSRCA pilots
that don't believe it is worth filling out.  This is due to the proposal,
from NSRCA Admin, against the popular vote.  Why take the time when no one
will listen anyway, is the attitude(not mine per se, but others I know) Ed