Landing Direction; Spins, and Snaps. . .

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Tue Jun 14 06:30:50 AKDT 2005

Bob,
I think your scenario is the hidden place where real time is saved,
particularly on pavement where the idle has to be very low to keep the plane
from rolling forward a little prior to takeoff. Last weekend in Muncie, over
125 takeoffs occurred on Saturday over the course of 4 rounds. I don't
recall a single instance where a plane quit out on the line and had to be
brought in and restarted. It's been pointed out that there are other rules
changes could accomplish the same thing and that's true. Right now, I'm just
watching and trying to assess what's good and what's bad about the rules in
place at the moment. My general perception after just one contest on
pavement is that things seemed to go quicker and safer under the conditions
we were flying in. There are many more contests to observe before the full
impact can be truly evaluated.

Verne