[SPAM] Re: Landing Direction

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Fri Jun 10 14:17:03 AKDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 4:53 PM, Lewis, Richard wrote:

> I also have another concern for safety if the this type
> of landing/takeoff protocol is adopted.  Allowing arbitrary take-off
> and landing directions will require extra attention from judges,
> callers, and pilots to prevent accidents when two flightlines are
> used and either two planes are landing simultaneously from
> opposite ends, or when a handler is retreiving an aircraft from the
> far end of the runway in the approach path of an opposite direction
> flier.  Not that we don't have these types of situations now, but I
> see where some extra care will be required because there will be more
> possibilities for this type of thing...At least now judges, callers,
> and pilots know which way the other guy went when he took off and can
> expect his return in the same direction.
>
> Not saying I don't like the idea, just participating in the
> discussion...

Back when I first proposed making takeoff direction the pilot's option,
the "doomsayers" were all predicting mayhem on the runway.  Three rule
cycles later, it finally passed.  Have we had the predicted mayhem?
Few would claim we have.  It does require attention by the judges and
pilots regarding what's going on around them.  The same thing would be
required if the landing direction could be changed in the event of a
wind shift.  Common sense and situational awareness will make it a "non
event".

Ron Van Putte