Landing Direction

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Fri Jun 10 13:23:13 AKDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 1:35 PM, Keith Black wrote:

> I'm in favor of the proposal for safety in the case the wind direction
> changes, but I'd like to bring something up that I've seen occur. Some
> pilots are much more comfortable flying one direction than the other
> and therefore will sometimes choose to take-off in the same direction
> as the wind, especially in a light wind.
>
> Is the spirit of this rule change to allow someone who took off with
> the wind to reverse landing direction? If not I think we could get
> into a lot of "hair splitting" when the pilot asks the judges if he
> can land in the reverse direction. Will the judges remember what way
> the wind was blowing (especially if the winds were light when the
> pilot took off)? Will other competitors observer the situation and be
> upset? If the judges refuse for any reason how upset will the pilot be
> if he dorks his $2500 plane? Will this rule lead to pilots not
> practicing the pattern both directions as much, especially in the
> lower classes where wind direction doesn't matter as much?
>
> Currently if a pilot has a weak flight direction and chooses to fly
> with the wind their "penalty" and incentive for not doing so is having
> to make a hot down wind landing (which I've seen plenty).
>
> Over all I like the idea but want to avoid any unexpected side-effects
> of the rules change.

If the wind doesn't shift, the rule wouldn't apply. I think having the
judges give permission is important; it precludes someone trying to
finesse the situation.  We trust judges to score flights, so I think
it's reasonable to expect they will know which way a pilot took off and
which way the wind was blowing when he did.

Ron Van Putte