Landing Direction

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Fri Jun 10 10:57:47 AKDT 2005

Keith:
We are subject to the Law of Unintended Consequences.  And, probably,
there are a few folks that will take advantage of this to try to get an
edge on the competition.  I would like to believe that it isn't true,
but, it seems, there sometimes is "that" one person.  As a former drag
boat driver, we were well acquainted with who "that" person was on the
race course.  Usually, they got with the program, or found themselves
pretty lonely at the races.
I would prefer that takeoff and landing direction be purely at the pilot
option, with (possibly) the judges/CD setting the maneuvering
direction.  I realize that too would bring abuses, (probably) and some
dissension.  Therefore, I look at Ron's proposal as less than I
personally would have liked to have, but far superior to what is
happening now.  And, if the judges don't remember what direction the
wind was in, and the pilot now has the choice, I don't think the damage
to be irreparable.  Just let him go ahead and land, his choice.  It
should be his decision, right or wrong, anyway.  IMHO.

Bill Glaze