New Sequences

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Thu Jun 9 05:53:26 AKDT 2005

Hi All,

I think the worst example of what  cross box maneuver can do to a pattern
is in this current masters pattern.  It completely bucks the stated trend
and desire of having pilots flying on a closer line to the pilot.  If the
pilot is learning the craft, wind correcting, and able to fly over the
poles, the cross box maneuver with out the option to leave it on the line,
just takes you out of the box.  If you are flying even close to the poles,
the automatic decision is take the cross box maneuver out (issue is beat
to death I'm sure).

In the P05 pattern, there is only 1 cross box maneuver and it has options
to leave it on the line (unless you consider a "spin" a cross box maneuver
during a cross wind, in which case the P05 pattern has two).  At this
point, I haven't found the need to practice this option to take it in or
out because all the other elements flow together to leave it over the
poles.  Speed management, wings level, and heading control all lead to the
pilot being able to keep the plane where they want it, easier.

Thanks,
Jim W.

"Bill Pritchett" <phelps15 at comcast.net>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
06/09/2005 12:04 AM
Please respond to
discussion at nsrca.org

<discussion at nsrca.org>
cc

Subject
Re: New Sequences

Verne:
Thanks.  One of the keys to this is "with options"...... We really could
use
some creativity on turnarounds that give the pilot the option of moving
their line in/out or staying the same......  Right now there simply aren't

enough.
We are really looking forward to this weekend - if Kane's buying, most of
D4
will be trashed.......   Since D5 is always trashed, it should be great
fun!
Bill