Adam's e-Mantis ready to fly

Adam Glatt adam.g at sasktel.net
Tue Jun 7 19:20:32 AKDT 2005

With half-decent weather tomorrow evening, the e-Mantis will fly.

We didn't figure CofG properly in the build process, so I had to stick
1.5oz of lead on the tail, and this with the batteries as far back as
possible (front edge of the battery lines up with the front edge of the
front battery mount).  If I order a second e-Mantis, Nedim will have to
build the tray longer so the RX and rudder servo can go back about three
inches.  As well, we will put the switch and RX battery at the rear of
the fuselage instead of the front.  With those mods most of the lead
should come off.  I can't see how to save weight on the front end (Chad
already drilled out all of the firewall, fuselage, and belly pan he
dared).  If anything, alterations to make the plane heavier (probably
desirable in a stiff wind) will occur with batteries (8Ah?) and a
heavier Plettenberg motor using a heavier prop, all of which compound
the CofG issue.  Nedim, you built the tail too light!  Anyone have an
Impact rudder they don't want to use?  ;>

Two JR ds3421 elevator servos, one 8611 rudder servo, two 9411 aileron
servos, Schulze 32.55k ESC, Plettenberg Xtra 25-13, APC 18x12e (battery
break-in prop), TruTurn 3+3/8 inch spinner w/ light backplate, Thunder
Power 2x5s3p-V 6Ah, Nedim's curved carbon gear, Bolly's new reflex CF
pants...
...10lbs + (2.25±0.15)oz
plus 1.5oz of lead (probably 2oz when the 19x12e or 19x12we goes on) to
make it balance where I have my glow Mantis right now.

I'm not sure how he did it, but Nedim seems to have made my plane
lighter than Chad's e-Enigma (Chad is using lighter batteries and servos
to hit 10lbs2oz).

Watch our team site later this week for pictures.

Adam Glatt
Team F3A Canada 2005
f3acanada.org

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.