Rules Survey - Track v.s. Heading

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Sun Jun 5 09:25:16 AKDT 2005

This weekend, had an interesting discussion with some folks at the Tulsa
contest.   My comments related to "track" of loops, part loops, etc....I
have always believed that the TRACK of the maneuver was to be constant,
either parallel or perpendicular to, the "flight line" established as the
parallel line to the centerline of the runway.

In all the manuever DOWNGRADES in the AMA regs, nearly every loop or
part-looping maneuver downgrade lists "Heading" changes as cause for
downgrade.

As we all know from flying crosswinds, heading and track are only the same
in a zero wind condition where the flight path and the centerline of the
fuselage are parallel (or identical).
    When wind corrections get introduced to the mix, the HEADING is offset
*usually INTO the prevailing crosswind component*, so that the TRACK of the
manuever is maintained.

Can anyone find the reference where the AMA Judge's Guidelines, or
downgrades, refer properly to TRACK (as they likely were intended to be!!!)
????

Bob Pastorello
www.rcaerobats.net
rcaerobob at cox.net