Motivation. . . .

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Thu Jun 2 05:17:44 AKDT 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 8:02 AM, Keith Hoard wrote:

> As I’m sitting here weighing several variables for this weekend;
> weather forecast, hotel cost, fuel prices, ect. . . . .
>
> I would like to know what is the number one Motivating Factor that
> gets you up off your duff to pack up all of your pattern toys, drive
> 5-8 hours, shell out several hundred $$’s, risk a rain-out, then drive
> 5-8 hours back home Sunday night, get home at 2a.m., to start your
> work week all over again on Monday.
>
> What is the top thought in your mind as you anticipate going to a
> contest . . . is it the chicks?  The big money prizes?  Is it the
> thought of finally beating someone you’ve been trying to get the upper
> hand for years?  The oohhhs and ahhhhs you’re hoping to get from your
> new 2005 model year Pattern Ship??  Figure out how well my new
> airplane flies?  See if my 5-year old pattern plane still “has it”??
>
> I guess what I’m trying to get here is: What gets you to go to a
> contest 5-8 hours away vs. spending the weekend at your local field or
> just driving to visit your flying friends at their local field?

Boy, that's a tough question!  I've been doing the Pattern scene longer
than most (38 years) and am still not sure what draws me to contests.
I love competition and have always competed, whether it was wrestling,
track or distance running.  Even though I'm not as competitive as I
once was, I still look forward to beating a few other pilots and
especially beating me of last year.

Ron Van Putte