Glow Engine Vs. Electric Engine for 2 m' pattern plane

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Wed Jun 1 04:55:04 AKDT 2005

Hi All,

My second attempt to join in on this discussion.  Most of the discussion
thus far (and for good reason), is centered around the cost of the
equipment and cost comparisons to glow.  Eric's note below and some others
also point to the development stage of the technology too.

Having flown Tony's Partner only once (but watched it fly quite a bit),
and having seen just a few other electric pattern planes (Jason's, and
Billy Meadows'), the flying advantage of the electric was enough to make
me want to get one going, regardless of the learning curve.  From my
perception, the pilot does feel the difference between the glow and
electric setups regarding less vibration.  The plane is going to be easier
to setup for a constant speed envelope, where there is less of a "gap"
between slow and full-throttle horizontal velocity.  With the narrowed
speed envelope, it MUST be a tad easier to setup the plane as the "one"
setup has a smaller velocity range to work and be consistent in.

I'm just trying to stir up another side of the discussion.  I hope that
some of the folks who have more of the "flying" experience with the
electric 2M setup will relay their experience, and describe to us the
piloting differences, trim differences, etc.

Thanks All,
Jim W.

"Grow Pattern" <pattern4u at comcast.net>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
06/01/2005 01:08 AM
Please respond to
discussion at nsrca.org

<discussion at nsrca.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Glow Engine Vs. Electric Engine for 2 m' pattern plane

John,
          I think that you might agree that what appears to be working for
"sponsored" pilots may not yet be that realistic for those who spend their
own hard earned dollars on the hobby.

I really don't feel that electric is that viable yet. Not from a
technology point of view, but much more of a durability and reliability
point of view. I note that the pioneers are starting to use less
amps/volts in the motors to get more longevity out of not just  the motors
but also the controllers and the battery packs. (A few months ago you did
not hear this type of statement.)

I also note that it feels like and may well be true, that you have to know
a lot more about the limits of electric motors and the associated
equipment to be successful and safe. I contact many of the "electric"
suppliers and find it very hard to get definitive answers on what I should
and should not do as regards the set-ups and the limits.

Where this leads me is that I am currently on the side of caution with
this stuff because you can use up a very large amount of money before you
realize that you have not gone the right route. With glow most of us can
sort out the enthusiast vs. the zealot vs. the professional user of the
equipment. With electric I can't.

I read about the rave reviews of how well a certain system performs and
then I get the flow of private e-mails with more factual and less glowing
(No joke intended) realities of the set-up. In most cases I can't print
what I am sent but it does concern me that when I tried to emulate the top
system of the day it was both expensive beyond my expectations and did not
perform all that well.

It was not enough to put me off pattern, but I had been a beginner it
might easily have sent me away.

Regards,

Eric.