[SPAM] Re: 2007 Advanced Patterns

Rex Lesher trex at pacwest.net
Fri Jul 29 08:45:57 AKDT 2005

Troy

I for one, am pleased with the new schedules.  You are right on the money with your thought process as to the teaching of skills to pilots advancing up through the ranks.
Your reasoning for people first starting to fly pattern is exactly the reason I started flying pattern.  While I was in the lower classes, I didn't really appreciate the process because I didn't "really" know what was going to be required of my learned skills by the time I got to Masters.  No one is going to know that until they actually get there.
Everyone should know the value of flying a straight line, parallel to the runway.  But, that won't be so evident until you get into the Masters sequence or FAI.  Then, when you are fighting for positioning for entrances and exits to the next manuever, you will appreciate your  "learned" skills.
When I started out, I had a mentor or five that was feeding me information and helping me learn to fly pattern.  I was totally reliant on their "expertise" because hey, they've been there, done that.  I'm glad I did.  If I hadn't, I probably would have quit a long time ago.  I wouldn't have learned the skills I now posess.
I feel that this is where we are now with all the hoopla about the sequence changes.  We have to rely on the people "in the know" to help bring flyers along to the next level.
Just my humble opinion, but that's been my experience.  I for one am very appreciative of the sequence committee's work.

Rex Lesher
3117