[SPAM] Re: 2007 Advanced Patterns

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Thu Jul 28 23:24:13 AKDT 2005

Rodney,

There is no bigger gap in the KF on the proposals than now with present Advanced to the Masters of today. My point is in looking at KF's alone the 48 or 49 to KF of 67...The current schedules we have now is a jump from 50 to 68 so the difference is at worse 1 pt in the KF...And at best its equal meaning the SAME as the current jump.

My personal opinion is that if you can master the skills in the proposals then you are ready for the 404 class. Notice I said master the skills not can you do the figures.

Pattern flying is about mastering and perfecting the skills at various level. When asked why people fly pattern the number one answer is they got started to learn how to fly better. What would you rather do....go up and survive an inverted to inverted 8pt roll and get a 5 or 6 on it every time...Or would you rather build the skill to do a upright 4pt roll at the score of a 9 every single time and sometimes get a 10. Once you have the skill of the 4pt roll then you can do one from inverted to inverted the skills are still there.

Like I have stated we are not vested in anyway or married to these schedules. We developed options that we thought would teach skills...in the case of advanced we felt the sequence should be more skill building than a masters class pattern with fewer figures.  As I stated in the previous email the skills are used in the patterns for 403 and will teach the needed skills for 404...then 404 can teach you skills needed to move to FAI 406. The goal is to have a logical progression of the sequences a stepping stone mentality. The current jump from 402 to 403 is large and yet the 403-404 jump is fairly small in the skill set department. This is a fact of life that we are living with today. This seemingly inequitable situation can be corrected with the options A and B for 2007 or we can leave it alone. The vote is in your hands.

What the heck is so different in the current to the proposals other than inverted exits? Does having an inverted exit make you a better pilot? Does it teach you to do a better 4pt roll or slow roll....If you can't do one upright and score a 9 on it then why should we ask you to do one inverted to inverted?
Lets look at the current schedules skills and compare to A and B skills.
Reverse Cuban 8 in current and option B
Stall turn with out rolls in current A and B have stall turns with 1/2s and a center stall turn components
Slow roll in current and A and B
1/2 square loop 2/4pt in all three sequences
Slow roll again all 3 sequences
Square loop with 1/2's on vertical legs...Current and Option A
Bunt 1/2 roll out in all 3
Double I 1/2 on top full roll on btm.  In current but look at its components...the triangle with full roll from inverted at the top takes the full roll at the btm of the Double I..Then you have Immelman turn to take the first part of this figure, and bunts to take the second half of the figure...So all the skills are still used. Just you are not exiting anything inverted.
Outside Immelman turn.....Bunt skills and Immelamnn turn skills are in A and B
45 down negative snap...so option A and B have a 45 down positive snap so does the current 404 Masters schedule..and that is a direct preparation figure right? How does a 45 down negative snap help you prepare for a Masters with a positive an more than or less than a reversed orientation?
Top Hat with 1/4's in all 3 schedules
Triangle loop with 2/4pt...Triangle in Option B and diamond in Option A teach the 45 lines and the 2/4pt roll element is in the 4pt roll and also in 1/2 sqs with 2/4pts
Push Pull humpty no rolls. This is a good rudder figure as there are no places to hide the corrections...This skill of shapes can be seen both A and B  in the 6 sided as it has no rolls and several radii that must match and also the diamond again no rolls and multiple radii to match and keep wind corrected
Avalanche in all 3
stall turn with 1/2's all 3
4pt roll all 3
1/2 sq with 1/2 roll in vertical in all 3
2.5 turn spin in current and 3 turn spins in both options. Very similar skills the major missing element is a 1/2 roll on the exit and I think that is covered in the Bunt, Immelman, 1/2 sq with 1/2 roll up, Reverse Cuban with 1/2's, square loop with 1/2's on the verticals and so on...So the reality is I think the options cover all the bases the current schedule does except one inverted exits....but yet adds in a  center stall turn similar to the current masters to make it harder and the Figure M which is a outstanding figure for teaching skills.

If you can do a figure M and score a 8-10 consistently then you will have the skills to be in the Masters finals at the NATS! Just my humble opinion.

As I have said before and will continue to say...our work is done. If you are not happy with the work then vote for NO change or develop a schedule of your own. We didn't gather a group to write the future sequences for AMA pattern. We gathered a group to present options that were viable and taught skill sets in the ranks of AMA pattern. If they become rule or don't become rule then it will be due to your votes as members.  And if you don't like the results of the survey then lobby your contest Board member to vote the proposals down. We are a suggestion box that feeds to the contest board. Many will knock this system as not following your desires or the best needs of pattern. The reality is this system is in place and we must use it. This system gives you the unhappy 403 pilot the opportunity to refute and show the contest Board the weakness of the proposals....The reality is I don't think the weakness is there as you say it is. You need to voice you opinion to them for a reflective vote of your needs and desires.

I'm not trying to convince you as I know that is a futile effort. Rather I don't think you are looking at the skills involved you are just looking at the fact that you want to fly upside down...Well fly the 2nd unknown from this years F3A NATS if you want some inverted fun. 19 figures and 12 of them had inverted entry and/or exits.

Don't worry you won't hurt my feelings by voting no....The work that was done was merely to create options. This is why its in a survey.

Troy