FAI Pilot - judging versus practice and round scoring

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Thu Jul 28 07:29:00 AKDT 2005

HI All,

I deleted Eric's last email accidentally and thus started a new one.  I
judged Masters Monday and Wednesday, then flew FAI in the afternoon.  I
accepted this simply because Dave G. asked due to imbalance of Masters
versus FAI pilots, shortage, etc.  On Monday the wind was blowing around
20-25 nearly 90 degrees out (to my recollection).  I was certain that the
lack of practice that morning would have yielded me a disadvantage.
However, I ended up with my highest round keeper from Monday.  On Tuesday,
I practiced in the morning, trying various props, fuel, and ended up with
the D.L 3B on 30% nitro as my go forward setup.  Although I was quite
please with the practice and enjoyed this vacation-day more, ultimately,
my scores did not reflect anything really different due to this practice
opportunity (of course, there are day to day differences in pilots and
judges on the line, other factors, etc.).  Given how much I liked
Tuesday's practice, I was quite disappointed to know that I was going to
judge again on Wednesday morning.  However, at the end of the day, my
round scores picked up and I had "two" round keepers from Wednesday. Thus,
my highest scores came coincidently from the day's I judged.

While judging, I used my "welder's-mask" dark glasses.  Just prior to my
afternoon flights, I switched to my normal, lighter lens.  Personally, I
enjoyed the practicing much more than judging.  Judging that amount of
Masters fliers leaves one with a baked and toasted feeling.  Anyway, I did
my part.  Just part of the 2005 experience.

Jim W.