Focus In Aircraft

RC Steve Sterling rcsteve at tcrcm.org
Wed Jul 27 18:50:39 AKDT 2005

I don't know about fitting a Focus in a sport-certified aircraft for
transport, but I put my Focus in the back of my Cessna 182 several times a
year. Back seat comes out, along with the plastic bulkhead panel between the
baggage compartment and tailcone. The Focus sits in a homemade PVC frame
that holds it in the right position so the tailfeathers are floating about a
foot into the tailcone of the Cessna. Nothing touches the Cessna behind that
bulkhead as it is not legal to have any weight stored back there. The frame
(and focus) is then held  securely in place with bungy cords in case of
turbulance.

With the Focus down the center, there is room down one side for the Easy-Up
and folding chairs, the other side has the flight box, tool box, spare
engine and parts, transmitter case and fuel. Then in goes the soft-sided
suitcases for myself and wife, plus a small cooler for drinks. Laptop
computer bag plus all the flight charts and approach plates go between the
seats.

Load the wife/navigator into the right seat, kick the tires, light the
fires, and we are off at 150 mph-- straight-line path.

Cessna 182 typically has 1100 lbs of useful load, with big doors and big
cabin. The SUV of the real 4-place singles.

You can imagine looks on the border patrol people when they look in the back
on our trips to Canadian pattern contests!

The biggest problem is ground transportation for the Focus if I can't land
at the pattern contest field. It means renting something bigger than a
mid-size sedan, which gets expensive. Other flyers are always willing to
help, although I feel guilty when I know they have a 6+ hour drive back
home, and I'll be home in 2 hours.