Coke Bottle Fuel Tank

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Tue Jul 26 05:48:50 AKDT 2005

Right-o Gray.
PET is not good for either methanol or nitro. Nitro will even swell Plexiglass.
A word about BEER, though. Why not?
I used to design electro-chemical corrosion rate monitoring equipment. The technical marketting guys had a lab that would do experiments for customers, to prove the viability of using E-C methods for their needs. When your standard product cost the same as a Chevy Caprice, you do things like that for customers: kinda like a test drive. Yes, we talked to a beer can mannufacturer. Turns out that all drink cans have one of three coatings: 1) cheap, 2) good, and 3) better. Almost all beer that comes in aluminum cans is internally coated with the cheap stuff. All soda cans are coated with the best stuff. Back then, Keystone beer advertised that their aluminum cans didn't taint the beer, and it was coating #2. We proved it in the lab. Coke corroded the aluminum, through both coatings #1 and #2, in no time. It does a pretty good job on the fancy coating, too.

If you wanted to use an aluminum can for a tank, you'd have to first take the coating out, with some solvent. That sure would be light, though!
later,
    Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer