Muncie Prelim results

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Thu Jul 21 06:21:26 AKDT 2005

Yup,
It sure is interesting!
Dave called me late last evening, to tell me how things ended up, after the prelims.
Needless to say, I am pleased and proud. Then I told him to hang up and get some sleep!
GEOMETRY FIRST!
		obviously, I am quite the cheerleader.

The observation that the hacker setups have more GO than the outrunners is likely due to their lower "proper" operating RPM, and the bigger diameter prop, That improves the prop efficiency, and low speed thrust.
The effective KV on a 6.7:1 Hacker is either 186 RPM/V or 173 RPM/V, depending on whether it's a 13 or 14-turn winding. The AXI and Orbit 25 are at 250 RPM/V. That's why they swing 19" diameters, rather than 22".
The best KV, so far, for an outrunner is the Cyclon 160, at 205. Maybe an outrunner with fewer turns, and a higher KV, like 350, can be combined with a 2:1 belt reduction. Belts are quiet, but useless at the shaft RPM of a hacker. This combo could negate the inrunners slight electrical efficiency advantage, and the huge prop efficiency advantage.

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer
Kodeos Communications
111 Corporate Blvd.