Paint ?

Robert & Casey Green robcase1 at cox.net
Sun Jan 30 17:59:14 AKST 2005

Thanks for the reply ED
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ed Miller
  To: discussion at nsrca.org
  Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 6:21 AM
  Subject: Re: Paint ?

  Robert,
  I posted the following to the list last year when I finished painting 3 planes. My own EMC2, I kept the most accurate tabs on weight.
  <
  Finally finished painting 3 new planes, Dave Funk's Hideaway, Lance Robbins Nomex Gator Giles and my EMC2. I only have weights for my EMC2 handy. Primer used was the old K&B Superpoxy primer, PPG base coat/clear coat 2 stage. We obtained the base coats from Tony Stillman ( thanks for the excellent color matches ) and we used PPG DU1000 clear, harder and more chemical resistance than the PPG 2042. I have 5 colors on my EMC2, missile red, white, royal blue, bright yellow, silver and black along with some black vinyl that Lance Robbins cut.
  Below is the total weights added to raw components with seams and pin holes already filled ( primer, base color coats, vinyl and clear coat )
  Fuse - 100 grams
  Belly pan - 15 grams ( belly pan painted and clear coated on inside also )
  Canopy - 6 grams ( plastic canopy painted on OUTSIDE  silver, red border and black fogging from red into silver)
  2 wheel pants - 4 grams
  2 landing gear legs 2 grams
  127 grams total or 4.4 ounces, not bad for a large plane like the EMC2.
  Also, colors are opaque and finish will rival your late model base coat/clear coat car finish. With careful attention to detail and proper preparation a light, high quality finish is possible. I think I'm on track for an 10lb 9oz EMC2, possibly less.
  <
  My final weight was 10lbs 10oz ( 4861 grams ). But with the removal of the Tetra Bladder Tank bladder and a lighter switch harness, weight is 10lbs 8oz ( 4808 grams ). The trick to keeping weight down while painting is to put only enough paint to get the surface even, anymore won't look any better and adds weight. The 3 planes I did, my EMC2, a Hydeaway and a Gator Giles all had finishes equal to or better than current automotive base coat/clear coat finishes. So it can look great and be light at the same time.  If I remember correctly, the weight gain on the Hydeaway ( primer, color, vinyl and clear ) was even less than my EMC, I believe 116 grams.
  Ed M.