Composite-ARF Impact question

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Sun Jan 30 17:58:52 AKST 2005

Bill,

I don't think it is uncommon for full-scale planes to have offset or asymmetrical fins. However, they are designed with the right amount *for cruise*. Any other speed/power setting will change things. Since they are after the most efficiency in cruise conditions (better range), they will probably want the least amount of offset thrust as possible, and will trim the rudder/fin accordingly. If they expect the fin to be providing a constant yaw force, it would make sense to give it an asymmetrical airfoil for the most efficiency. Let the pilots deal with the other situations.

I personally think the right-thrust is the correct way to go. I can't argue with what others have said about throttle mix working for them, but I don't see how it would work. I think you will have less slipstream effect happening at full throttle in level flight than you would at full throttle in a climb. As the prop unloads with increasing airspeed, the slipstream effect should decrease.

Of course, I remember the very detailed trim instructions that came with my Great Planes Cap21. Something like: "Pull the nose up until pefectly vertical. If the plane yaws off to the left, add weight to the right wingtip". There was no mention ANYWHERE about engine thrust. Tossed that in the trash. :-)

Bob R.

Bill Glaze <billglaze at triad.rr.com> wrote:
Adam:
This may be a little bit off the mark, but just a little bit. During
WW2, the Italian firm Fiat produced a very good series of fighters with
exactly the characteristics you mention, that is, an asymmetrical
fin/rudder airfoil. Seemed to work well for them; other nations handled
the problem differently.
Bill Glaze

Bob Richards
bob at toprudder.com