Snao G's

Wayne Galligan wgalligan at goodsonacura.com
Thu Jan 27 11:37:52 AKST 2005

A test on the tube by itself would not be a very good way to assess the total load supporting strength of the wing tube setup in our planes.  The wing tubes loading carrying ability is determined by the distribution along the sleeve and through the bearing surfaces at the root rib and support rib at the end.   The support rib and root rib then spreads that load through the skin and to the leading edge if the rib goes that far.   The weakest point of the wing tube in the setup is at the point between the fuse and root rib where it is really not supported by anything even though this is a very small area.    Ideally to make the tube carry as much load as evenly as possible the sleeve coming out of the fuse would protrude into the wing root rib and the end of the tube at the root would also be supported at the same spot. From some of the posts I have seen the support rib at the end of the tube can be suspect also.  So running the end support rib to the leading edge for max. load spread.  Since I have not been able to bend a wing tube yet I think that the std method building the sleeve structure to be sufficient enough.  But then.... I have not flown 100 reverse avalanches to date.    If your are using an aluminum tube and have any doubts by all means get a c.f. tube.  Like Gray Fowler once posted if not twice, the c.f tube will deflect  and return its original position from being stressed up to its failure point then it will just shatter but an aluminum tube will just bend and stay at the point of deflection or bend to a folded mess.  The point between where the c.f. tube breaks and the aluminum tube bends is significant enough to warrant using the c.f. tube....plus the c.f tube is about half as light.... but you'all knew that.
   Mike Dunphy did some testing on the c.f tubes a while back and had some pretty interesting stats.  Maybe he would chime in here.

Wayne Galligan