Throt/ Rud

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Wed Jan 26 16:29:59 AKST 2005

Hello Cameron,
In the experience of a great many of us, you should quit putting right thrust in at 3 degrees, because any more makes the plane fly stupidly (as you described) and add right rudder trim for the remainder. Generally this isn't a bad compromise. Other times, it leaves the previously mentioned warts. I would be willing to bet that with a carefully tailored throttle into rudder coupling, you would still be best off with a degree or two of right thrust, to compensate for the effect of spiral airflow striking the chin and vertical tail (if it is above the plane's center line) at cruise power and speed. The right thrust will not hurt spin entries, and the like.

I'll have to go experiment with this, myself. Oh yeah ... there's a ton of snow out there!

Regards,
            Dean Pappas