any merit in running dual battery packs ?

Ed Alt Ed_Alt at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 24 19:00:56 AKST 2005

As I recall, the diode bypass for open cells only worked on setups that used the new-fangled bridge amplifier servo designs, i.e., anything using the old center tapped 4 wire designs couldn't be saved with the diode bypass. I could have used it one day on my old Skylark 56 (2nd RC plane ever for me) with a Kraft Series 70. It did a nice spin-in that day, though it lost points for shoulder rolling into it as that one cell coughed its last and all the servos crept over to their final resting spot.

EK Logictrol had one of the earliest bridge amplifier servos.  My instructor had one when I got into RC, I think it was late 1969 and he was already using their little linear rack, 3 wire servos.  I can't remember the model number for them, but they were really the cats a$$ back then.  I could be wrong, but it might have been EK that first did the diode bypass in the battery pack. The memory is a bit fuzzy on that though.

Ed