Now Tube Radios and Nostalgia.

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Fri Jan 21 11:45:29 AKST 2005

On Jan 21, 2005, at 2:24 PM, Bob Richards wrote:

> I had an electronics lab kit from Allied Electronics when I was a kid.
> Had a 12AU6 (or 12AU7?) twin triode tube. I was elated when I hooked
> up a hybrid AM radio from the schematics -- and it worked!!!
>
> Luckily, transistors had been invented by the time I got into RC. My
> first radio was a Kraft 5ch Sport Series. Had the big KPS-11 servos
> with the linear rack outputs. First plane was a Goldberg Skylane 62
> with OS .35. Lasted 6 flights (midair). I had saved up money working
> during the summer to pay for that. I was 15.
>
> When I learned amplifiers in school, we covered tubes first, then
> transistors.

I really think we enjoyed ourselves more back then, when we made almost
everything.  The fact that it 'sorta' worked was a marvel in itself.  I
also remember, when I was about 15 years old,  building a short wave
radio from scratch from an article in Boy's Life magazine.  Imagine my
amazement and joy when I turned it on, twisted the dial and heard in
the earphones, "This is the BBC in London."!  I don't think today's
"plug and play" generation can feel the same way we did back then about
our accomplishments.  There's a lot I don't miss about "the good old
days", but that feeling of success could not be beaten.

Ron Van Putte