New Dremel cordless, Now tube radios.

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Jan 21 11:24:23 AKST 2005

Ron,

I had an electronics lab kit from Allied Electronics when I was a kid. Had a 12AU6 (or 12AU7?) twin triode tube. I was elated when I hooked up a hybrid AM radio from the schematics -- and it worked!!!

Luckily, transistors had been invented by the time I got into RC. My first radio was a Kraft 5ch Sport Series. Had the big KPS-11 servos with the linear rack outputs. First plane was a Goldberg Skylane 62 with OS .35. Lasted 6 flights (midair). I had saved up money working during the summer to pay for that. I was 15.

When I learned amplifiers in school, we covered tubes first, then transistors.

Bob R.

Ron Van Putte <vanputte at cox.net> wrote:

I had a receiver, which had an RK61, but it never worked. What I flew
was an ECE receiver, which had a 3D6 tube, as I remember. I still have
it. For you young guys: This all happened just after dirt was
invented.

Ron Van Putte