epoxy joint

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Jan 17 13:37:02 AKST 2005

"Interesting, Gray. Would you also discuss some details about chopped
filler (say 1/16" to 1/2" chop length) and continuous strand filler? Also
how material stiffness and impact resistance are affected?"

MattK

Chopped fibers actually work well. A chopped fiberglass of about 1.0" can
approach most of the properties of continuos fiberglass(as long as the
fiber volume is sufficient). Shorter fiber such as 0.5" and 0.25" increase
most of the properties of neat epoxy resin also. In essence they are long
enough to transfer some load through the matrix.  An 8% by weight chopped
fiberglass in epoxy looks like wet cat hair. Pack enough fiber in (fiber
volumes greater than 30%) and even a FILLET can now transfer load and can become useful.  Of course all of this is
way too much for our applications.
Chopped fibers suck in my industry because we need absolute predicability.
Not knowing exactly how the fiber is oriented or what the void volume is
is impossible to analyze (FEA).  Chopped fiber is never as good or as
light as continuous fiber. Chopped fiber does not give you "Maximum
efficiency of materials" which means  it is too heavy to rely on. On
Aeroslave planes, I mix 3-4% chopped carbon fiber to beef up the
microballoon-epoxy corner fill material.
First thing I had to learn to do when transitioning from building missiles
to building pattern planes is not to build it too strong. Remember.....If
you cannot break it then you made it too heavy!

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering