epoxy joint

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Jan 17 13:06:52 AKST 2005

Bob

You can have dessert in Tucson.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

<rcaerobob at cox.net>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
01/17/2005 03:55 PM
Please respond to discussion

        To:     <discussion at nsrca.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Re: epoxy joint

Ya know, all this talk of "filet"s is making me HUNGRY.  Haven't read much
today on "fillets", and one you eat, one you don't....Gray?

<BG>

Bob

> From: Gray E Fowler <gfowler at raytheon.com>
> Date: 2005/01/17 Mon PM 04:08:50 EST
> To: discussion at nsrca.org
> Subject: Re: epoxy joint
>
> John,
>
> On something like a lite ply former, I usually put a filet like amount
on
> the former to ensure complete wet out and complete gap fill. The result
is
> an absolute minimal filet-cuz the tip of my finger is curved. This is
just
> to make sure the entire joint is complete, because you really cannot QC
> the joint-not to add a filet.
> Also a gob of really strong epoxy WILL increase bond strength IF the
epoxy
> is stronger than the substrate such as lite ply. But this is a
> bass-ackwards application and once again dead weight.
>

> Gray Fowler
> Principal Chemical Engineer
> Composites Engineering
>

> "John Ferrell" <johnferrell at earthlink.net>
> Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
> 01/17/2005 02:01 PM
> Please respond to discussion
>

>         To:     <discussion at nsrca.org>
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: epoxy joint
>

> "Filets in general are useless other than for cosmetic reasons. On a
> properly assembled bond joint the filet will never see stress until the
> load capacity of the joint itself is exceed. At that point the joint
> breaks and considering that the joint itself is orders of magnitude
> stronger than the filet, the filet breaks instantly. Filets are dead
> weight, "
>
> Awesome! and embarrassing!
> I cannot even guess how many formers & stringers I have carefully
> encumbered with beautiful, heavy worthless fillets...Sometimes adding
bits
> of string to the mix in imitation of pylon racers...
>
> But you just made future building easier...
>
> John Ferrell
> http://DixieNC.US

enable stress to be transferred from one fiber to another. The problem
> with milled fibers is that as the transfer stress it is only for that
1/64
> of a inch and then it terminates creating a stress riser. The epoxy then

> fractures at the end of that fiber at a stress level much lower than if
> the fiber was not there at all. These type of fibers work great on
> thermoplastics which are much softer and flexable, but not so great on
> thermosets. Milled fibers in an epoxy will reduce elongation, reduce
tensile strength, increase the heat distortion temperature, increase
hardness and increase compression strength.

> Microballoons are not structural, they are used to reduce density. The
> volume is huge and the balloons are weak therefore the mixture is weaker

> in every aspect. The reality is though that a microballoon epoxy is
still
> usually strong enough for our applications. Add this to the fact that we

> are always striving for weight reduction and you can determine the
proper
> application.
>
> Filets in general are useless other than for cosmetic reasons. On a
> properly assembled bond joint the filet will never see stress until the
> load capacity of the joint itself is exceed. At that point the joint
> breaks and considering that the joint itself is orders of magnitude
> stronger than the filet, the filet breaks instantly. Filets are dead
> weight, and usually more dead weight than you think it is-but man they
> sure look GOOD when someone inspects the inside of your plane-which in
> this hobby is second only to winning the NATs (sorry-cannot always stop
> the sarcasm).
>

> Gray Fowler
> Principal Chemical Engineer
> Composites Engineering
>

> "John Crozier" <sjcrozier at comcast.net>
> Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
> 01/15/2005 09:35 AM
> Please respond to discussion
>
>         To:        "discussion nsrca" <discussion at nsrca.org>
>         cc:
>         Subject:        epoxy joint
>

> Sometime in my crafting life, I have acquired the notion that adding
> milled glass, micro-balloons, etc.,  to epoxy when making a good fitting

> joint, only weakens the joint. (diminishes, or dilutes the bonding
> strength of the epoxy).
> In this case it would be composite horns to balsa.  No fillet is needed.

> Anybody wanna jump in?

Bob Pastorello, El Reno, OK, USA
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net