Judge Feedback - Winning... Knowledge or Talent?

rick wallace rickwallace45 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 18:50:20 AKST 2005

Hmmm.

Sportsman as a learning class - how's that for a paradigm (whatever THAT
is.) - and I think judge / coaching's much more acceptable there than in
the higher classes.

When I flew Sportsman not too long ago, I routinely asked judges for
feedback immediately after I landed - sometimes they'd give it -
sometimes not. Sometimes the two judges had differing opinions, which
was always a treat.

Now, when I'm in the chair, I use a system similar to Lance's to note my
perceptions of the flight I'm judging - in the margins of the
scoresheet. Might help trigger the victim / pilot to ask me about them,
and will certainly help me remember why I gave that score, if asked.

The pattern community just isn't that big, and the guys in this year's
sportsman class will be right beside us in Masters / FAI in a few years
if they stay with it. We're not just scoring their flights, we're
welcoming them into the community. If we do it right, we'll be flying
with these guys for a long time. - I believe it's possible to be fair
and impartial in the chair and still provide an item or two of immediate
post-flight feedback to the pilot. My informal ground rules for this:

-          Talk to the pilot AFTER score sheet's finished and put away
or turned in. The pilot doesn't get to look over a judge's shoulder at
his score sheet ever.

-          Ensure that the other judge is OK w/ making comments - defer
to him if he's a more senior guy.

-          Never push comments on the pilot - if he indicates he's
interested, point out one or two things,

-          Make comments in a positive manner ("You might try holding a
notch of throttle at the top of the stall turn, and hitting the rudder a
tad earlier.")

-          Don't allow the short dialog to slow the pace of the
contest-the next pilot up has priority once he's been cleared to start
his engine.

-          When asked I'm willing to

o        either coach the pilot by watching others' flights (preferably
in another class) and discussing techniques (OUT of earshot of anyone
else, esp the flight line)

o        meet w/ the pilot after the round for a detailed discussion of
perceptions of his flight- the debrief marks are already on his score
sheet.

Just my $.02 -

Rick