Judge Feedback

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Jan 13 12:35:55 AKST 2005

Bill, on the occasions where I have volunteered info to a contestant
unsolicited, he was doing something quite obvious to every one else, but not to  him.
Normally, I know most everyone at the contests down here so it isn't that
bad. 95% of the time they are open to input. Comments are given more  often to
Sportsmen and Intermediate but not always. We are not talking a 5  minute
discussion here; just a very quick 15 second comment on something  that could
easily help the pilot. If there's alot more to it, we talk  after I am done sitting.

While I am sitting, I do not allow questions from the pilot after he
receives his score sheet. These conversations require a more in depth discussion  so
I respectfully ask them to refrain until I am done. Particularly on the zeros
I have given.

At least once a contest, a pilot wishes for me to be critical of a specific
flight he will fly, and I do that as courtesy to my fellow pilots. Only when I
 am not sitting the chair.

As caller, regardless if I have flown with the pilot before or not, I try  to
give the pilot more than just the next maneuver. It is often agreed in
advance to coach the pilot through the sequence, calling when to initiate, where
stage centers are, approaches to stage ends, in or out movement, etc. Some
pilots do not require it and it may actually be too much info for some and
counterproductive. Often, I find that the first round I call, is usually the
maneuvers only. The next round I call for the same guy, is often much more
detailed. In practically all cases, scores improve.

To me, this is proper Pattern etiquette. It is the way I would like to be
treated at a contest by my fellow competitors.
regards,
MattK

 In a message dated 1/13/2005 4:00:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,