Judge Feedback

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Jan 12 13:49:41 AKST 2005

I think that one of Earl's points at least, is well taken. Many times,  a
judge will be confronted by a pilot right after a flight is completed, at the
detriment of other pilots standing on the ready. Best place for that is after
the round is finished, and in as respectful a manner as possible.

At local contests, unless there are 20 people flying in a class, the judge
will often remember some obvious or blatant things pilots have done. Minor
details are often lost very quickly, even immediately after a flight, so it's
probably a good idea not to expect that kind of explanation.

One thing that has not been mentioned is approachability of the pilot. I
have had pilots really get mad at even suggesting they did something wrong.
Luckily it doesn't happen that often, such that I have been dissuaded from  making
constructive criticisms.

I remember my first contest in Texas City, 25 years ago. I was lucky enough
to meet a gent who had been around the scene for awhile, and he agreed to have
 my new bride and me share their tent. He also flew the Sportsman class of
the  day, as I did, and it was a constant teaching class all weekend long for
me. I  was open to his info sharing and I learned more during that contest than
I had  in months of flying at the club site. In fact the only thing that
topped it was  my first Nats, a year later. He called for me all weekend long and
helped me  tremendously. Texas City used to put on some kind of shin dig back
then. Lots of  fellowship and story sharing at the club sponsored supper
Saturday night.  Tremendous information for young ears to eagerly absorb. BTW-I
doubt Tx City RC  Club ever made a nickel from their annual contests.

I have a suggestion for the pattern newbie and not so new alike: at the  next
contest why not approach a longtimer and pick their brain some? Ask them to
witness your next flight and ask for their input. I think many will accept,
but  almost no one will just offer to critique unsolicited. You the pilot must
initiate that kind of input. Of course it's an obvious thing to do, and, IF
you  are serious about improving, it is some of the best spent time at a comp.

regards

MattK

Earl, I think you have some good points. But I  want to point out two issues
relating to your comments.

1. The marks on the score sheet that Lance  suggested were to facilitate
evaluation *after* the round, not during the  round.

2. Your point about the coach working with the  pilot at the practice fields
has great merits, but it doesn't take into  account that not everyone has
experienced pattern fliers to practice with,  and even those that do fly with
other pattern fliers can benefit from  input from more experienced pilots at
contests.

Since you're an FAI pilot and you work with guys  at your field you're coming
from the viewpoint that sportsman pilots can get  expert advice if they look
for it at practice. But how are those that don't  have top (or any) pattern
pilots at their home field ever supposed to improve  if they don't get feedback
at contests?

If your answer is "their caller", then I'd point  out that most lower level
fliers aren't fortunate enough to have top level  pilots call for them if they
don't fly with them at practice. I've seen many  less experienced pilots
calling for each other. Also, the top fliers are often  judging. Think about it
this way, how many sportsman or intermediate pilots,  that aren't in your club,
do you call for at contests, and how much feedback  do you give them? If these
guys don't get feedback from someone how will they  ever improve?

I personally very much appreciate input from  judges on things they noticed
me doing wrong. Especially when it's something  I'm doing wrong again and again
and don't realize.

Keith Black